Maps and Routes  

Walking

 

Walking in Buckinghamshire
Walking Routes around the country  

 

 

Newport Pagnell Town Map

 

The Newport Pagnell Town Map gives the official street plan of the town.

 

Please click on this link http://www.localauthoritypublishing.co.uk/flip_guides/newportpagnellmap/index.html

 

Heritage Trail Map The Heritage Trail 

The Heritage Trails starts at the Health Centre at Market Hill, once the site of the Newport Pagnell Brewery established in 1780.  Weekly cattle markets were held in this area and also the annual town fair.

Newport Pagnell Historical Society

 

Brewery House1 Brewery House

Brewery House, built in the 1780s by Thomas Meacher. It was sold in 1816 to a local doctor, John Rogers, whose relative ran the Brewery

The Dolphin 2 The Dolphin

The Dolphin dates from 1740, although an earlier 16th century inn is thought to have occupied this site
United Reformed Church3 United Reformed Church

The United Reformed Church, built in 1880 on the site of the Independent Meeting House (1702). To the right is the Newport Pagnell Academy, started by the Rev William Bull in 1782 to train non-Conformist ministers
The Cannon 4 The Cannon

The Cannon, established in 1860, was previously two shops - a baker's and a grocer's. The pub, and the road junction got their names from a gun that stood at Cannon Corner during the Civil War
The Swan Revived 5 The Swan Revived

The Swan Revived Hotel is the town's only surviving coaching inn and dates from 1590. Originally called The Swan it was renamed after renovation in 1952
Parish Church of St Peter and St Paul6 Parish Church of St Peter and St Paul

St Peter and St Paul's 13th century Parish Church has a 94ft long nave with a 15th century roof supported by carved wall brackets. The tombstones were removed from the churchyard and relaid as a path on the south side of the church in the 1970s.
Almshouses7 Almshouses

To the north of the church the row of almshouses was built by John Revis, a Charing Cross draper, in 1767, for single men and women over 55 years of age. The homes were modernised in the 1970s. The tomb of a prominent lace merchant has been re-located from the churchyard and contains an inscription by the Olney poet, William Cowper. The walk continues through Ousebank Gardens and the old Cemetery to where the Rivers Great Ouse and Lovat meet. This area probably once housed the long lost Someries Castle. The path continues along the river bank and eventually joins the road through a gateway in the wall of the former National School, built in 1816 and demolished in 1961. 
St John Street8 St John Street

Queen Ann's Hospital Almshouses were built in 1891 to replace a previous group erected in 1615, an inscribed beam from which can still be seen. Hospitals, dedicated to St John, have been in this part of the town since Medieval times, giving the street its name.
Tickford Bridge Old Tickford Bridge9 Tickford Bridge

Tickford Bridge, over the River Lovat, was built in 1810 and is the only iron bridge in Britain still carrying main road traffic. Near the footbridge on the side is a plaque giving details of its history and construction.
Wrestlers Garage10 Wrestlers Garage

The Wrestlers Garage was once a thatched inn serving the heavy transport of the coaching era. It dates from the late 1600s and is one of the oldest buildings in the town.
Aston Martin Lagonda 11 Aston Martin Lagonda

Now the home of Aston Martin Lagonda, these works were founded in 1820 by members of the Salmons family. They built coaches and carriages and in the 1900s made bodies for the early cars. For two years from 1923 four hundred Salmons NP cars were built here. The exterior of the buildings has hardly changed in that time. Turning back towards the town a footpath on the left, opposite the Bull Inn, leads to Riverside Meadow. Following the path by the River Lovat there can be seen, by the weir:
Lovat Bank 12 Lovat Bank

Lovat Bank, a Victorian mansion, built in 1877 for Frederick Taylor, son of the founder of the nationally famous Taylor's Prepared Mustard. The house stayed in the Taylor family until 1959 when it became home to the Urban District Council.

The Parchment Works13 The Parchment Works

The Parchment Works is the last remaining establishment of its kind in the country. Parchment is sent all over the world for legal documents and diplomas. Cross the footbridge over the river and note the plaque giving details of the old town bathing place. Join the main road, turn right and soon you will see the parchment works again. 
Lovat Crest14 Lovat Crest

Lovat Crest, once a farmhouse, now the only thatched building in the town.
The Police Station15 The Police Station

Built in 1872 the Police Station is still operational.   However the Police Museum, once housed in the old court rooom, has now been transferred to the Milton Keynes Museum at Stacy Bushes for display at a future date.

St Bedes Roman Catholic Church16 St Bede's Roman Catholic Church

Before arriving back at Market Hill there is St Bede's Roman Catholic Church, established in the 1950s in a building that once housed prison cells. Nearby is another old inn, The Coachmakers Arms dating from 1773.